Home Care Advice for Ringworm
- Antifungal Cream:
- Use Lamisil, Micatin or Lotrimin cream (no prescription needed) 2 times per day.
- Apply it to the rash and 1 inch (2.5 cm) beyond its borders.
- Continue the cream for at least 7 days after the rash is cleared.
- Your child doesn’t have to miss any child care or school for ringworm.
- Ringworm of the skin is mildly contagious. It requires direct skin-to-skin contact.
- The type acquired from pets is not transmitted from human to human, only from animal to human.
- After 48 hours of treatment, ringworm is not contagious at all.
- Wrestlers, however, should avoid all wrestling until evaluated by your child’s doctor.
- Expected Course: It clears completely in 3 to 4 weeks. For any recurrences, suspect the household puppy or kitten and take it to the vet for diagnosis and treatment.
- Call Your Doctor If:
- Rash continues to spread after 1 week on treatment
- Rash is not cleared by 4 weeks
- Your child becomes worse
And remember, contact your doctor if your child develops any of the “Call Your Doctor” symptoms.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended be a substitute for professional medical advice. It is provided for educational purposes only. You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Author and Senior Reviewer: Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.
Last Reviewed: 9/15/2011
Last Revised: 8/1/2011
Content Set: Pediatric HouseCalls Symptom Checker
Copyright 1994-2012 Barton D. Schmitt, M.D.